Sam Cooke in the ears + fresh developer on the fingertips = Saturday Nights into Sunday Mornings
I did it. I built my darkroom. Finally. It has taken some time, but I now know how it feels to “see the image appear,” as so many have excitedly proclaimed. I now have a space devoted to magic and mistakes. As I’ve previously noted, my boyfriend generously allotted me the space for a darkroom in the second bedroom of his new apartment. Said room divides its time between man-cave and developing-den, thusly wafting aromas mixed of machine oil and fixer about his home.
It only seemed right and [probably] poetic that the first photographs I chose to print in my darkroom were also ones from the first set of negatives I processed by hand: the large format, 4×5 portraits of my Grandmother from my personal project/series, “Tributaries Tickle her Toes.”
materials & processing (the technical shtuff)
CAMERA: Cambo SC basic 4×5 with Nikkor 210 f/5.6
FILM: Ilford HP5+ 400 4×5
EXPOSURE: 1/120th @ f/22 2/3 – compensated 2 stops for bellows extension. meter read f/64 6/10
ENLARGER: Omega Pro-Lab D6 with Rodenstock Omegaron 135mm
PAPER: Ilford MG IV and Arista.edu Glossy #2 // Working my way up to fibre-based papers. 😉
CHEMISTRY: DEV: Ilford MG Paper Developer STOP: Ilford Ilfodstop FIX: Ilford Rapid Fixer
PRINT EXPOSURE: 6 sec exposure @ f/16, 4x 2 sec incremental burning
DEVELOPING PRINT: 45 sec development, 1 min stop, 3 min fix, 8 min final rinse
T says I smell like a CVS photo department whenever I exit my darkroom. And, truthfully, I wouldn’t have it any other way… though, I know he’d prefer this wasn’t the case, and maybe I’d rather not smell like CVS…. We’re looking into ventilation.